The Dayton’s Bluff historic district was created in 1992 to recognize...
The John Kaese House at 689 Conway Street is a 2,400 sq. ft., Queen Anne style, single family residence built in 1888 and categorized as contributing to the character of the Dayton’s Bluff historic district. It was foreclosed, has been vacant for two years, and appeared to be heading to a landfill after only one year of vacancy due to the city’s demolition policies – until HSP stepped up and accepted it as a donation from the bank owner.
It’s a good and big house that was really worn out but not in bad condition. It would have been a shame and a waste of resources – historic and otherwise – if it had been demolished and discarded.
Historic Saint Paul is rehabbing the house from top to bottom, without any public subsidy, and it will soon again be a good home to a Saint Paul family. Work, to be completed by the end of 2017, includes all new mechanicals, bathrooms (1.75), and kitchen, and a thorough refreshing inside and out. The awkward second-story floor plan is being revised, by adding a hallway, so that there will be three bedrooms and a den. There is also a first-floor bedroom.
A tight budget allows for repair and painting of the exterior but not restoration of the original siding and missing front porch. However the house is saved, renewed, and positioned to provide shelter for another 100-plus years.
Help Save 412 Goodrich!
Please click the Donate Now button to contribute via PayPal and add 412 Goodrich under 'special instructions.' Thank You!
When a property is threatened Historic Saint Paul often gets a call for...